Friday, December 27, 2013

Shabby Pocket Goodies

Happy Friday, my creative friends!  As some of you have already heard (because I've mentioned it before), my Mother-in-Law is visiting with us for Christmas through the end of this month.  She likes to make cards and scrapbook pages, so she always asks me to show her something fun to create while she's here.  I decided to show her how to make a shabby paper bag pocket.  This is such an easy project, but can be decorated SO beautifully!  So, I pulled out a couple of paper bags and we got busy.  I did follow a design by another artist on this one, but she didn't have it watermarked, so I can't give credit to the original artist who inspired me.
I started with just a basic Medium Kraft Paper Sack and folded it over stitching the edge to create a pocket.  I used cream acrylic paint and dipped a pencil eraser in it..and dabbed on the dots along the bottom to create a border.  Next, I folded a small white doily over the front pocket and started decorating.  I used a small piece of Decorative Tape, a Basic Grey Hey Girl garland banner, some seam binding to create a bow - with a resin flower in the center of that.  I used a Small White Tag to stamp the sentiment (all the best), a Maya Road Kraft Ticket, a Heidi Swapp pink heart, My Mind's Eye sentiment card, a Tiny Wooden Clothespin, buttons, Baker's Twine, two Small Glassine Bags with decorated cards tucked inside.  The card is tucked into the pocket.  Here's a closer look at that.
The snowflake is a die-cut which I cut using wool felt (another favorite of mine).  I also used lots of ink and machine stitching which seems to be my "signature move".  The scalloped edge on the card is cut from an older piece of Scenic Route patterned paper.  The other two pieces of paper on the card were scraps I found on my table that matched the color scheme of this project.  I think they're Girls Paperie and My Mind's Eye.
This last picture is just a close-up of the pocket.  You can see the Glassine Bags which I folded over and machine stitched to create little pockets for journaling.  Lots of sweet little embellishments that make it really fun.  I just kept adding on more and more.  But that's the fun part of crating, right?
 
I'm sharing this project in the following challenges:
 
Basic Grey Challenge Blog- Challenge #110 - Anything Goes - I used the Basic Grey Hey Girl Garland across the doily
 
Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog - Wednesday Challenge - Bling It On! - My Bling is the mini wooden clothes pin which I covered in ultra-fine diamond glitter - BLING!

Papertrey Ink Challenge - Make It Monday Challenge - A La Carte - I used #142 Decorated Kraft Bags by Melissa Phillips - I LOVE decorating kraft bags.  The Papertrey Ink product I used on this Decorative Kraft Bag is the Tiny Tags Stamp Set which I used for the (All The Best) sentiment.  I just ADORE PTI

Docerela Blog - Challenge #52 - Anything Goes & Blog Hop - I used a sentiment stamp (all the best) on the little white hanging tag
 
Little Scrap Pieces - Noel & Fun Friday Linky Party - I would be so delighted to win some of Karen's sweet seam binding!

Creative Card Crew - Challenge #52 - Anything Goes
 
Thanks so much for visiting, and have a blessed and relaxing weekend!
 
Karen

18 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, such a wonderful project. Thank you for joining us this week at Docerela.

    Catarina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen!
    I love your blog! And I love your project!
    Beautiful :D
    Congratulations
    Thanks for join us at Docerela Creations
    Kisses
    DT Member Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gorgeous Karen! I love the wonderful little details in your pocket! Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute pocket and cards. I am sure they would brighten anyone's day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pocket bag. Everything is better with a doily on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - what a lot of beauty in a small space ! This is stunning Karen
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous creative. Love the kind of victorian feel to it.
    {Would love you to visit my blog and join my 130,000 Page View Give-Away. Thank you so much if you have already entered and good luck. }
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super fun & cute! It's fun creating with those we love!! Give her a big hug from me!
    hugs & love my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. magnifique, j'adore ce style shabby, bonne année a toi, biz

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just adorable Karen! The card is very sweet too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous pocket bag. You are so sweet doughter in law. Have fun
    hugs and blessings
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  12. GORGEOUS and then some. Karen this certainly has your signature all over it. Blessings, Carole

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, how much details. Thank you for participating in the Creative Card Crew challenge. Adriana DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely stunnuing girlfriend! We need to make this the next time we are together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so gorgeous! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your sweet comments! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like it. I like the style Shabby Chic. Thank you for participating in the Creative Card Crew challenge. Joanna DT

    ReplyDelete
  17. So gorgeous Karen what fun embellishments.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. They mean so much to me.