Friday, September 19, 2014

Recreating From Inspiraton Past

There was a card that I saw several years ago made by a talented crafter named Kristi Lockart.  I fell it love with it immediately, and have looked at it (in awe) many times since then.  Each time I look at it, I think to myself, "I really want to re-create this adorable card, but I don't have the correct supplies.  You see, Kristi is part of the Design Team at Pink Persimmon Stamps.  The little girl and wagon that she put on her card are sweet Persimmon Stamps.  I thought over the years that eventually I'd buy this stamp set and finally recreate the card, but I never did.  I looked at it again this week, and just decided to make it work.  Instead of the Pink Persimmon girl and wagon, I used more pieces from October Afternoon (various lines).  I added a little girl from the Sidewalks line, and pretty much everything else is from October Afternoon's darling 5 and Dime collection.  It's definitely different from Kristi's card, but the basic idea was hers.  I always love to give credit where credit is due.  Kristi really motivated me on this, so I had to mention her.  You can check out her lovely blog here:  Sincerely Yours by Kristi LockartThe original card that inspired me can be found here:  On Pinterest (as well as Kristi's original June 1, 2011 post)
I've always been a big fan of October Afternoon.  I own more of it than I do of any other company, and that's say A LOT.  One reason why I own SO much of it (well, besides the fact that I LOVE IT and I can't stop collecting it) is because I get to attend the October Afternoon Warehouse Sale every year in Apple Valley, Minnesota so I get amazingly low prices on it.  I've been waiting to hear when it will be held this year (it's almost always in October), and I will fly to my BFF's house to visit and attend the sale along with lots of creating, antiquing and fun.  It's my "happy trip" of the year, and I'm so thankful and blessed that my husband sends me on this trip every year.
 
Don't you just love this sweet 5 and Dime line?  I used lots of it on this card along with some Wagon Red Bazzill cardstock, Tim Holtz Barn Door Red ink, luscious Caribbean Blue crinkled seam binding, red baker's twine, a vintage gem, ruler ribbon and vintage cream lace (both at bottom), some mini tags cut from die-cuts and held in place with a sweet rusty pear-shaped safety pin.  The finished card has a Happy Birthday sentiment stamped inside.
 
I'm sharing this card in the following challenges:
 
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenges - "Simon Says Tag It" - The TAGS I used are two mini hang tags that I die-cut and added mini sentiments to them (they're both rub-ons - FRIENDS and carefree).   I hope that my mini tags meet the "TAG IT" requirements.
 
My Craft Spot by Kimberly Challenge Blog - Challenge #151 - "Chalkboard Art" - I used the adorable chalkboard patterned papers from October Afternoon in my background and I inked them on the edges with white chalk ink.  I also made a chalkboard mini tag that I die-cut from chalkboard paper, added a white rub-on and inked the edges of that with white chalk ink.  I LOVE the chalk art effect.
 
Thanks so much for visiting me today and for listening to my long story about this card.  I'm so grateful to have you stop by and I look forward to visiting you all this week!
 
Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous card Karen, and I can see why you have cased the original, which you have really done beautifully.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, your inspiration certainly came to life with this project... I'm glad you didn't wait any longer to create it. :o) The little girl is precious and all of your chalkboard elements are fantastic. I love the little chalk art tag! :o) The texture throughout is lovely... there are so many sweet details to admire. Thank you for sharing your beautiful work with us at My Craft Spot!

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely blog! blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card! I love all of the many fun details! Thanks for joining the fun at My Craft Spot!

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen I love your card, it's absolutely gorgeous, so cute and I love the chalkboard.
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    hugs
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this collection. I saw the one with Pink Persimmon stamps, and it is quite lovely. What a great card.
    Sierra

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a gorgeous card! I love the October Afternoon papers and all of your design elements! Thanks for joining us at My Craft Spot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sweet! Such a pretty card with a gorgeous bow! I love the image with the little girl "reading" your sentiment. Darling!

    Thanks so much for playing along with us at My Craft Spot!

    Kate
    Small Bits of Paper

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. They mean so much to me.