Thursday, December 1, 2016

New Curtain Call Challenge

Welcome by my blog today!  I'm so grateful that you're here as I share a warm, cozy Christmas card I created with some sweet, older Simple Stories patterned papers that I've been hoarding forever.  I was lucky enough to have recently won the Felt Challenge at Curtain Call Challenge Blog, and they invited me to be a Guest Designer for a sweet new challenge that starts today.  You can get lots of great inspiration and more information about the challenge on the Curtain Call Challenge Blog.  For now....here's the inspiration photo for the new challenge:
Isn't that photo just SUPER yummy?  It immediately made me think about warm gingerbread cookies, hot cocoa, cinnamon sticks, and the warm and cozy feeling of a red plaid quilt.  I wanted to somhow incorporate those ideas into my card.
So with that vision in mind, I cut strips of patterned paper that I distressed and machine stitched onto white card stock.  I cut my gingerbread man by hand from dark brown card stock and I inked his edges.  I also added some thin white rick-rack to the gingerbread man's arms and legs to look like icing on the cookie.  I used a red berry cut in half for his eyes, which I was hoping would look something like those little cinnamon candies we always use for the eyes when we bake these delicious cookies at our house.  His smile was drawn using a white paint pen, and I also tucked in a couple of vintage rusty miniature paper clips here and there.
I added a small cinnamon stick on the right side of the card, and I tied a small torn piece of natural cotton ribbon, and I added a small stamped sentiment (Wish) that hangs from a tiny tag that I cut from paper bag card stock to match the base of the card.  From the strip of torn ribbon tied around the cinnamon stick, I hung a pear-shaped rusty safety pin which holds the stamped sentiment tag.  I also inked the edges of the tag.
I know that the Design Team over at Curtain Call Challenge Blog would just LOVE to have you play along in their challenge.  And with this adorable inspiration photo, your card is just bound to turn out super sweet.  You just can't go wrong with all those sweet elements and colors.  Just have FUN creating your project for the challenge.
Thanks again for stopping by, and I hope that you'll visit again soon.  I appreciate your stop today.  I really am looking forward to seeing what you will come up with for this fun new Curtain Call Challenge.

Karen

I will be playing along in these challenges as well:

Joy Clair December and January Challenge - This sweet inspiration photo got me fired up, and I had so much fun creating cards with traditional red and combining other fun Christmas elements.
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Simon Says "Anything Goes", so I'm super excited to enter this challenge.

9 comments:

  1. Like all the texture & sewing on this Gingerbread Man card.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work, Karen do love gingerbread, so cute, well done on complementing this challenge.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Shaz in Oz.x

    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love every single element of this, the cinnamon sticks are great and brilliant eyes !
    Thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this card. The composition, detailing and combination of different types of materials/techniques is amazing. Happy 3rd day of Advent, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet card Karen. Love that cute gingerbread man. The cinnamon sticks look awesome! Also love the cute little tag too and the stitching! Congrats on being the guest designer at Curtain Call.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Karen this is such a sweet card - love the texture and dimension you have achieved.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute take on the inspiration photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Le petit bâton de cannelle est la touche finale, biz

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! A sweet gingerbread man and pretty papers stitched in place! Your blog is full of beauty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. They mean so much to me.