Saturday, July 11, 2020

Some Good Old Hand Stitching

Hello, and welcome by today.  I don't know about all of you, but I just LOVE to cross stitch and do hand stitching projects.  I was taught as a very young girl, and I took lessons over the years to improve my craft and learn different varieties of stitches.  It was a fond memory for me with particular women in my family including my dear Aunt Betty and my sweet Great Aunt Chlorence.  I'm so grateful for their influences, and also for my Jr. High School Home Economics Teacher, Miss Karen Harper, who taught me to sew and to love sewing.  I took further classes in sewing as well as the stitching; so I guess I've always been a crafty kind of girl.
I miss doing this type of handiwork, and when I saw the new challenge over at Double D Challenge Blog calling for stitching (real or faux) I just knew I had to play along.  What a perfect opportunity to create something involving stitching.  I used one of my favorite sets from Papertrey Ink, and cut my hearts (2) from ivory wool felt.  I stuffed the hearts and hand stitched them together using ivory DMC floss.  I added some French knots, and did some straight stitches here and there.
I've made these very same little hearts in the past.  They're fun to make and they don't take terribly long to put together.  I enjoy the hand stitching part.  It's relaxing for me, and I usually do it while watching a tv show.  I have jars and jars full of buttons, so this is also a great way for  me to use up some of my button stash.  The scalloped border is from Paper Sweeties and the flower dies are from Frantic Stamper.
If you haven't seen the FUN challenges over at Darlene & Diane's Double D Challenge Blog, you will definitely want to put this one on your challenge "list" if you have one of those.  I just know that I like to play along there whenever I'm able.  This particular challenge really spoke to me.  Thanks for stopping by to take a peek.

Blessings,
Karen

I'm playing along in the Double D Challenge: Stitches - Any Kind (Real or Faux)


7 comments:

  1. So beautiful!! I love little projects like this. Several of them would look lovely displayed in a vintage dish or bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful stitched heart Karen. Before I got into paper crafting I used to sew all kinds of things for craft shows and loved every bit of it, in fact that is why I love all the beautiful paper pads so much, makes me think of all the pretty fabrics! we won't even talk about my button stash..hah! thank you so much for joining our challenge at Double D!
    Diane DD DT {Nellies Nest}

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely Karen - I did lots of cross stitching kits in my life- I enjoyed doing each one. Your stitches are fabulous! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Karen this is just beautiful! Well done my friend! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘Stitches’ challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.
    Darlene
    DOUBLE D Challenge Blog
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    Please stop in for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to use your buttons Karen, and a gorgeous project overall. I belong to my local Embroiderer's Guild so have kept my stitching up... although I have a lot of PhD's (projects half done).
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen this is pure delight! I love this sweetly stitched pillow complete with vintage buttons. swoon! Thanks so much for linking up to the Double D challenge. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my goodness, Karen, this is gorgeous! you have created such a lovely piece! I can't even attempt any hand sewing these days because I shake so very much. but this pretty heart with the vintage buttons just makes me smile so much! thank you for the beautiful inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. They mean so much to me.