Sunday, September 16, 2012

When All Else Fails. . . .

I love all things shabby, vintage, antique, lacey, frilly, and cute.  I've had several of these vintage looking images for a long time now, but never really know what to do with them.  So I decided to use one to create a shabby little card.  I love these little girls that remind me of days gone by. . .a quiet and more innocent time.   It's just so sweet.   I inked and sewed the card, put it on a doily inked with tea stain, added some seam binding, lace, velvet trims, Melissa Frances patterned paper, a miniature wooden spool wrapped in DMC floss, added a couple of stick pins, more vintage lace, and some other goodies.  As I usually do, I machine stitched this as well.  It doesn't really have a sentiment.  I just like the card the way it is.  I can always add a sentiment later when I decide what I'm going to use this card for.

Before I go any further, I have to tell you all an important piece of advice.  "WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS".  I entered the challenge this week at The Shabby Tea Room twice already (this will be entry number three), and I BLEW IT on my frist two entries.  The directions clearly said to "add lace, fabric and a button".  Oh my.  Well, you all know that saying, "THIRD TIME'S A CHARM", right?  This is my third entry, but the only one that will even count.  I followed the theme, colors, and added fabric (a suede leave from Freckled Fawn, and a wool felt flower cut from a PTI die-cut).  I also added two different vintage laces and used a vintage pink button with some PTI jute tied in it.  It's always good to READ the instructions.
 
 
http://theshabbytearoom.blogspot.com/2012/09/week-131-creative-candy.html - The Shabby Tea Room -Week #131 - Photo Inspiration (see below) plus use lace, fabric and a button (see above).

 
Thanks for stopping by.  Before I go, I wanted to share one last picture.  This is my handsome 13-year-old son, Andrew.  He looked so nice in his new suit when we went to church this morning.  And here's the best part:  I didn't "make him" wear (or even buy) this suit.  It was completely HIS idea, and he LOVES it.  I'm one lucky Mama.
 
 
My Cup Runneth Over,
Karen

7 comments:

  1. Such a lovely card! Love the lace you used and this image is adorable!
    Love your style!
    Such a handsome young man he is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulously shabby!! Love the spool and pins - the image is darling!! OMG, what a handsome young man you have !!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this card, Karen! These type of images are my absolute favorite. Unfortunately, I'm hesitant to use them because I think I might want them for something else. Not a way to think! Your son is, indeed, handsome! And I love all the things I see in the background of your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a little cutie ... the card and your son!! Thanks for sharing all of your lovely work with us this week in the Tea Room, Karen -- so, so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Karen, I am glad I am not the only person who gets things wrong.... Beautiful card, beautifully constructed. And what a handsome young man you have in your family.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, your son is so handsome!! And this card - stunning!! Love the vintage image and embellies!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. tout les elements sont si bien ensemble...superbe, biz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. They mean so much to me.