Monday, May 27, 2024

Stamp Simply - Edmund Fitzgerald New Release

Where do I even begin with this blog post?  Well....first, let me remind you that I grew up in Duluth, Minnesota, which is a port city of Lake Superior.  It was always part of our lives seeing the iron ore ships that came in and out of Duluth to the Great Lakes and reaching the world.  I also saw all the trains that came (and continue to come) in and out of Duluth carrying taconite pellets (iron ore) from the Iron Range, Canada, all over the Tri-State area, and as I said before; these ships have carried goods from everywhere and going to everywhere for so many years.  These elements travel first by train and then by way of the great freighter ships.  My own Uncle Billy worked on these iron ore ships and we'd go down to the docks to say goodbye as his ship pulled out into Lake Superior, and to welcome him back home on his returns.  Then, when I was just ten years old, I remember clearly the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald.  I also remember Gordon Lightfoot recording the song about the sinking of the Fitzgerald.  These memories are forever etched in my mind.  Stamp Simply has captured the beauty and majesty of this amazing vessel.  While my heart breaks for those lost and their extended families, we are all so grateful that Uncle Billy wasn't working on the Fitzgerald.
This is the New Release paying tribute to the Great Lakes Freighter SS Edmund Fitzgerald that was lost somewhere in Lake Superior on November 10, 1975.  It was a very cold, stormy November in Northern Minnesota and all throughout Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio.  All 29 men on board the SS Edmund Fitzgerald died that night.  The sentiment I used is a short line from the song about the Fitzgerald.  You can listen to the Gordon Lightfoot song by clicking this link: The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.  The Ojibwe (Native American Indians of the area) called Lake Superior Gitche Gumee, which translated means "big sea" or "huge water" always referring to the "Big Lake"; we all know it by the name Lake Superior.  This history reference is also shared in the song, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
I love all the beautiful details of the ship.  I stamped it once onto white cardstock and once onto the burgundy cardstock.  I pieced together the two pieces and did a small bit of coloring (smokestack, windows).  I really wanted the ship to be the primary focus of this beautiful card; showing the majesty of these giant freighters.  These freighters truly are magnificent to watch as they pull in and out of the harbor in Duluth and other port cities along the Great Lakes.  This card recreates a very common scene in Duluth on any given day....looking out onto Lake Superior and seeing one (or many) of these beautiful ships.
The only product other than the new Edmund Fitzgerald release items are the clouds I used in the sky.  They are from the Country Church Dies.  I kept it very simple to show the simplicity and beauty of the ship(s).  Don't miss out on getting ahold of this beautiful New Release stamp set before they're gone.  You can find so many great stamps, dies and products at Stamp Simply including the amazing New Release items.  Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today.  OH....there's a special ONE DAY SALE TODAY ONLY at Stamp Simply where you can SAVE.
Here's where I'm sharing my card:

Pammie's Inky Pinkies Challenge - Anything Goes - I love to play along at Pammie's Inky Pinkies.  I keep trying, and I'll keep playing along here when I can.

Happy stamping and crafting, friends.

Blessings,
Karen

4 comments:

  1. A striking card Karen, and how wonderful that you grew up seeing these ships on a daily basis. What a tragedy to loose a ship like that - we have had a few wrecks around New Zealand also, the worst was the Wahine in Wellington harbour in April 1968 when 51 lost their lives
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful post Karen. I went to college in Winona MN and I used to love watching the barges and riverboats on the Mississippi. Minnesota is a lovely state. I never made it up to Duluth, but maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a very interesting post Karen, a story I didn't know about. These sailors risk they lives for us, and it's good something like this reminds everyone, that they are all brave souls. A wonderful card. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing story and card - beautifully CAS and perfect for the stamp set.

    Thanks for joining us at Pammie's Inky Pinkies.

    Helen x
    DT

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. They mean so much to me.